Dragonboy IT & Electronics Journey

Monday, July 24, 2006

Philips DVP5140K - DIVX Capability

DVD Player is not something new. Divx capability is not something new. The new thing is, I finally manage to convince myself to buy one he he. I have already aiming to get one ever since I heard that divx movies can be played in some dvd player.

I never got time to go shop and try it out myself until finally last weekend, I manage to see at some electronics shops and see the price...oops..its getting very cheap now. DVD Player with DIVX capability can be as cheap as SG$ 100.

There is a catch though, they only support DIVX 3.11/4/5. While the new model with DIVX ultra capability support DIVX 3.11/4/5/6. Of course the new model will have a different price.

So I noted down all the prices and the model that I am interested in the normal electronics shop i.e. Best Denki. Then in the weekend, I went to Sim Lim to buy it, surprisingly, the price is not much different, DVP5140K price is SG$169. while in Sim Lim, I only manage to get it at SG$155.

It is not really much different beside you have to pay cash in Sim Lim, and you can not use your credit card without incurrent additional charges. So I bought one and quickly go home. I can not wait to try it out.

Installation is very easy, so no need to mention anything since its just like a normal dvd player.

Here is what I can observe so far:
1. It can play divx very well (no skip).
2. You can use your DVD Writer to store the files (*Remember DVD is 4.2 GB, while CD is only 700 MB*) so if you use a DVD, you can store more files inside it.
3. Limit your file name up to 13 characters, otherwise you can not see it on the TV.
4. Subtitle works well but....with some catch.
There are some subtitle that can be shown as 2 lines, but there are some that will be cut off. I have not investigate, but it should be quite simple to create a small program to overcome this problem.
5. The remote control is very light, I almost think its a toy :P.

Other than that, I am a happy man. The normal DVD that I have works fine too. So this player is good. I am happy to have it.

So if your DVD Player is old or spoilt, and you are thinking to get a new one, get this player :).

cya.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oiii makan yuk....

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this review about "PSP"-Web browsing-Wireless hype-with 2GB flash memory????? hehehe....

To' mIng TsE'

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, would like to know if the player supports DivX chinese subtitles in srt or other formats. thanks.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Dragonboy said...

I did try with .srt English subtitle and it works fine. I did not try with Chinese subtitle. But will try it the next time I went back home.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the reply on subtitle. i just checked the manual online, and found that apparently, it doesn't support chinese subtitle in srt. one more question, how well does it play pirated dvds (ie. dvds the quality of which may not be very good)? thanks in advance.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

the DVD player comes with a region free. So you should be able to play any dvd without any problem. The quality is really depends on how they make the dvd.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, you mentioned writing a program so that subtitles can be displayed correctly. How does it work? compress to a smaller font size and still restricted to 2 lines or force the display of all lines of subs? thank you.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

.srt file as far as i know there is no option to change the font siz.


So the only way is the program will change the normal .srt files and convert it to display all the lines in the .srt files.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great mwave coupons. Electronic Service

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home